All research using human and animal research subjects is subjected to oversight to protect the research subjects from unacceptable harms. In the case of research on human beings, a cornerstone of research ethics is the concept of informed consent. Your research subjects must consent to being a part of your study, and they must be informed about the nature of any risks involved. Human subjects research is reviewed by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and the Office of Research Compliance (ORC).
The research activities in this class will be conducted under the terms of an application that Professor Brown submitted to the ORC. This application covers the Photo Documentation and Interview activities, as well as the optional Video Ethnography project. You must follow all of the instructions on the project page and on this page.
- You must obtain informed consent from every person you collect data from before you collect the data. You must explain to them what you want them to do, what information your are going to collect, and what you will do with the information you collect.
- You must keep clear records of the consent given by all participating subjects. Keep track of your consent forms. Keep a record of the total number of subjects you work with.
- The people involved in the activity should be adults 18 years of age or older.
- You will not interview subjects about their personal lives or other topics that may be socially sensitive.
- You will not collect any sort of data on any illegal activity.
- You will do whatever you can to protect the interests of the subjects.
- If complications arise in your relationship to a subject or subjects, report the problem to your professor immediately
Informed Consent Forms
Download and print enough of the forms to take with you to do your data collection.
- Photo Documentation Form – Make sure all of the participants in the activity that you observe and document sign a form, even if you do not actually photograph them.
- Interview Consent Form
- Video Project Form – Make sure the participants all sign the form before you video them. This project is optional.